Friday, February 6, 2015

Hong Kong

Gear: Nikon D610 || Nikkor 16-35mm f4 VR || SLIK Pro 340DX
Setting: 24mm|| f/10 || 25s || ISO 100
Post: Photoshop CC || Lightroom 5 || Wacom Intuos Pro|| 15" Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina
There's only one must-photograph scene in my visit of Hog Kong to me, that's the famous night scene  of Victoria Harbour. And it can be photographed from 2 places, The Victoria Peak, which is the above, and from Kowloon peninsula. And because it's such a well photographed place, makes the prep-work very easy, you can even find what focal length you'll be using on the internet!

Usually, the better you prepared, the easier the actual shooting will be. That being said, the super windy condition at the peak completely took me by surprise! I knew it could be cold and windy, but I didn't know that it could be so windy that the wind actually moved my camera and tripod... 
Luckily I was able to get some clear shot between the winds, which makes the hour-long shivering worthwhile.


Gear: Nikon D610 || Nikkor 16-35mm f4 VR || SLIK Pro 340DX
Setting: 16mm|| f/8 || 1.6s || ISO 100
Post: Photoshop CC || Lightroom 5 || Wacom Intuos Pro|| 15" Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina
When I arrived in HK, Christmas was only less than a week away. Many of the buildings on Hong Kong island had already put the light decoration on, so the whole island looked quite Christmasy.
But actually it was raining (quite heavily) that day, sometimes I even had to use an umbrella to protect my gear. The rain also made the scene a bit unclear, especially the mountain in the background. But night scene of Victoria harbour is considered to be one of the must-sees on the planet, even though I didn't get the perfect shot I want, it's still nice to see it with my eyes.

Hong Kong by Wilhelm ChangVictoria Harbour in the Morning
Gear: Nikon D610 || Nikkor 16-35mm f4 VR || SLIK Pro 340DX
Setting: 30mm|| f/10 || 241s || ISO 100
Post: Photoshop CC || Lightroom 5 || Wacom Intuos Pro|| 15" Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina
Apart from the night scene, I also tried to capture Victoria Harbour in the morning, because there's no interesting cloud the evening before. But when I arrived my intended shooting spot, I found that even the sky had cleared up, but there's still not much cloud in the sky, and it's moving very slowly.
As the sky got brighter, I put on a big-stopper filter to create the sense of motion, and I'm very happy with the result. 

There were 2 other places I planned to photograph, IFC in Central and Tsing Ma Beidge, but unfortunately I didn't have enough time to cover them, but at least I got my main objective captured, so I think overall my trip to HK was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment